Sunday, January 6, 2013

About the blog

I'm just an ordinary girl with a passion for exploring the world. I debated for a long time if I should create a blog or not. I'm not a journalist and I don't consider myself an expert writer. I realized the importance of documentation. The day I leave the earth, I would like someone to come accross my stories and hopefully be inspired by them.

I don't remember exactly when I discovered my passion for traveling, but it probably has a lot to do wiith when I was in college and I had the opportunity to study Italian in Perugia, Italy. I fell in love with the language, the culture and definitely the food! I really wanted to stay there forever, but I had family and a boyfriend (now my husband) waiting for me back home. If you ask me why I like traveling so much, I would say that travel, at least for me, is the best form of education. When I am in a different country, meeting new people, experiencing new adventures, trying new food, I am in peace. It's my "comfort zone". I don't know what is about it, but I simply enjoy it. There are so many places to go and explore and life is simply too short. We live consumed by the busy corporate life, that we sometimes forget to take a time to appreciate the simple things in life. I hope one day I can convince my husband to take a long break to be on the road exploring the world, but in the meantime we are trying to see as much as we can with the limited vacation that Corporate America offers.

So far we've been good in hitting at least two countries a year. We have visited Mexico, Canada, Dominican Republic, France, Argentina, Uruguay, Spain and Morrocco. This year (2013) we are planning a visit to India and one of our biggest adventures (so far): trekking the tallest peak in Africa, Mt. Kilimanjaro. We also try to see as much as we can in the US, and we've visited Montana, Wyoming, Oregon, Arizona, Florida, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Texas, Hawaii, Idaho, Virginia, Washington DC, and counting... and lived in Washington State and California. I hope to share my experiences with those who are as passionate to know the world as I am. 

Why Mond-Civitano? It means "world citizen" in Esperanto. According to Wikipedia, Esperanto is the most widely spoken constructed international auxiliary language. Its name derives from Doktoro Esperanto("Esperanto" translates as "one who hopes"), the pseudonym under which L. L. Zamenhof published the first book detailing Esperanto, the Unua Libro, on July 26, 1887. Zamenhof's goal was to create an easy-to-learn and politically neutral language that transcends nationality and would foster peace and international understanding between people with different regional and/or national languages. Nowadays Esperanto is seen by Esperantists as an alternative to the all-in-English spreading the world. Esperanto is found as an ethical solution (for the threat about the cultural and linguistic diversity related to the expansion of English) as well as an economical alternative (for foreigners the learning of Esperanto is much easier than the learning of English). Hope you enjoy my blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment